Fire Extinguisher Training
How to use Your Fire Extinguisher
(The Key is the right PASS
Pull the safety pin out to unlock the lever or trigger. The fire
extinguisher can't spray until the safety pin is removed.
Aim low and point the fire extinguisher's nozzle or hose at the base of
Squeeze the lever or trigger to discharge the powder or "agent."
Sweep from side to side, always aiming at the base of the fire.
Read the label on your fire extinguisher and the user's manual for complete
Make sure everyone in your family and work place knows how to use the fire
extinguisher before you're faced with a fire emergency!
Remember your safety is first!
Buying and maintaining an extinguisher
- Extinguishers come in dry chemical, foam, carbon dioxide, water, or
halon types. Whatever type you buy, it should be labeled by a nationally
recognized testing laboratory.
- The higher the number rating on the extinguisher the more fire it puts
out. High rated ones are often (not always) the heavier models. Make sure
you can hold and operate the one you might buy for home use or be required
to use at work.
- Ask your dealer or fire dept. how you should service and inspect your
extinguisher. Recharge it after ANY use. A partially used one should be
- Extinguishers should be installed away from potential fire hazards and
near an escape-exit route.
- If you would like further training on your fire extinguishers please
contact Bayshore Fire Dept. at 543-3443.